Australian Wren

Australian Wren

Search This Blog

Creativity and Self Doubt


 I just read an article which was very inspiring regarding creativity and self doubt.

The article stated that self doubt can be the biggest block to our creativity. The fear of being judged or misunderstood can be very strong and can stop creativity in it's tracks.
The author suggests 10 ways in which to overcome your self doubt and get your creativity back on track. I found this article really helpful, especially the reminder of why I create, it is not to impress people but to express myself in a way that fulfills a brief. The illustrator Carla Sonheim was one of those who were interviewed. Carla is an extremely daring and innovative creative who very generously shares lots of ideas about creativity and how she goes about the creative process in her image making. Carla quotes Alan Alda;

 “Be brave enough to live creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. You cannot get there by bus, only by hard work, risking and by not quite knowing what you are doing. What you will discover will be wonderful: Yourself.”

Have a look at Carla's website here.  

In the spirit of putting myself out there and sharing my creativity here are 2 collages I recently finished. The cat was a project I started at uni and wanted to complete, it lead to the bunny. They are both paper collage using old projects I tore up, out of print book pages and some hand painted paper.  I like the way that random pieces add interest to the image.




Cat, paper collage
 
 
 
Bunny, paper collage
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Aww, the look on the cats face! I love it Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celeryanne. I'm not sure what has just happened to him to give him that awestruck look!

      Delete
  2. really you have good site and provide unique article, we wish more, thanks Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much Jassica. It is lovely to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete